Re: [opensuse] Practicalities of IPv6
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 11:53:05 +0100

Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Fri, 2009-10-23 at 11:28 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
G T Smith wrote:
The wiki article below seems to suggest that implementing a form of
NAT for IPv6 is under discussion by the IETF...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6
Also suggests the implementation is not exactly consistent (or as
simple as intended)...
NAT seems completely superfluous when the networks are dished out
as /64. I did notice that there is a reserved range of
private/local/site-unique addresses (prefix fd), but I'm not quite sure
what that is intended for.

It is used for:
(a) Networks that are not connected to the Internet.
(b) Setting up an IPv6 on a network where there is no ISP [yet] to
allocate you a 'real' IPv6 subnet. As they still have not addressed the
fact that it is hard and expensive for an organization to just get an
allocation of its own. Having to depend on an ISP for addressing is
really annoying.

Hmmm...

I do not think this is the issue, NAT supplies some capabilities that
some people would like to see natively available within IPv6, the
routing between IPv4 and IPv6 is already outlined elsewhere.

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup