Re: [opensuse] Practicalities of IPv6
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 11:42:48 +0100

Per Jessen wrote:
G T Smith wrote:

The wiki article below seems to suggest that implementing a form of
NAT for IPv6 is under discussion by the IETF...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6

Also suggests the implementation is not exactly consistent (or as
simple as intended)...

NAT seems completely superfluous when the networks are dished out
as /64. I did notice that there is a reserved range of
private/local/site-unique addresses (prefix fd), but I'm not quite sure
what that is intended for.

/Per

For purely address space allocation it probably is superfluous, for
simple network zoning maybe not.

This private address allocation idea seems to be implemented with
different syntaxes in different contexts. I also have no idea whether
this is intended to deal with network address space sub allocation and
issues like zoning or whether this is for another purpose. A brief look
at this article suggests this is a little more involved than some would
have us believe.

It really depends how desirable it is have all your address space
universally visible and not implementing some form of DMZ as a layer of
protection, and also to what extent there is a requirement to restrict
access to resources not just by user but by location.

Apparently for consumer grade kit operated by 'non-informed' users
implementation is patchy at best, (options like flashing the ROM with
third party firmware is not something I would personally recommend to
this user group, and may invalidate any warranty on the kit anyway).

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup