Re: [opensuse] Practicalities of IPv6
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 10:14:18 +0100

James Knott wrote:
Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
The problem is that consumer level routers don't support IPv6, at least
in routing & NAT functions.

NAT = evil; there is no NAT in IPv6. One of the advantages of a huge
address space is that you can get rid of NAT.

Quite so. With IPv6, users are assigned a *HUGE* number of IP
addresses, which can be used as desired.

The wiki article below seems to suggest that implementing a form of NAT
for IPv6 is under discussion by the IETF...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6

Also suggests the implementation is not exactly consistent (or as simple
as intended)...

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup