Re: [opensuse] Practicalities of IPv6
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 08:34:48 -0400
Per Jessen wrote:
the one thing I can't quite tell is whether pppd will support
ipv4 and ipv6 at the same time. I also don't know if my provider
supports that, but at least I was able to verify that they do support
IPv6.

PPP is a level 2 protocol and supports whatever you can do with an
ethernet card. It is a IETF standard for providing packet based
networking over a serial line. I have set up PPP links over T1 or SHDSL
lines and the interface is simply an ethernet port, just like a switch
etc., and will handle anything an ethernet switch or bridge can handle.
The problem is that consumer level routers don't support IPv6, at least
in routing & NAT functions.

O'Reilly has a good book about PPP.