Re: [opensuse] Practicalities of IPv6
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 12:42:38 +0200
Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

I've been researching this quite a bit today, and have yet to find
a manufacturer which explicitly lists IPv6 support. During some
more googling, I came across a suggestion of simply running the
ADSL router in bridge mode, and leaving all the IP handling to the
next system,
i.e. a firewall/gateway box. This sounds quite enticing, although
it would mean making the firewall/gateway also do the ADSL
authentication/login etc. I guess it would be kind of similar to
the old days with pppd and all that.
This looks as if it might actually be the right approach. When the
ADSL box/modem is running as a bridge, it doesn't care whether it's
IPv4, -5
or -6, so that's one component out of the loop. The next step is to
run pppd+pppoe on the gateway/firewall - AFAICT, it's pretty straight
forward, the one thing I can't quite tell is whether pppd will
support ipv4 and ipv6 at the same time.

Yes, PPP is multi-protocol; you are not even limited to IP [although
routing IPX to your ISP might be pointless ;)]

Thanks Adam - in the meantime I've also confirmed that my provider will
happily feed me IPv4 and IPv6 down the same line. I might just play
with it this weekend.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (9.0°C)