Re: [opensuse] Practicalities of IPv6
I've been researching this quite a bit today, and have yet to find a
manufacturer which explicitly lists IPv6 support. During some more
googling, I came across a suggestion of simply running the ADSL router
in bridge mode, and leaving all the IP handling to the next system,
i.e. a firewall/gateway box. This sounds quite enticing, although it
would mean making the firewall/gateway also do the ADSL
authentication/login etc. I guess it would be kind of similar to the
old days with pppd and all that.
This looks as if it might actually be the right approach. When the ADSL
box/modem is running as a bridge, it doesn't care whether it's IPv4, -5
or -6, so that's one component out of the loop. The next step is to
run pppd+pppoe on the gateway/firewall - AFAICT, it's pretty straight
forward, the one thing I can't quite tell is whether pppd will support
ipv4 and ipv6 at the same time.

Yes, PPP is multi-protocol; you are not even limited to IP [although
routing IPX to your ISP might be pointless ;)]