Re: [opensuse] Making KDE the default desktop once again
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 22:15:25 +0200 (CEST)

On Wednesday, 2009-07-29 at 15:37 +0200, Sven Burmeister wrote:

Am Mittwoch, 29. Juli 2009 15:07:35 schrieb Gabriel:
On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 4:54 AM, Sven Burmeister<sven.burmeister@xxxxxxx>
wrote:
And I still don't get why selecting a default desktop decreases choice.
the only difference is that one of the radio-buttons on that installation
page is selected, it does not change anything for those that want a
different desktop. So why does it decrease choice?

Ok, then why not make other desktop default?

As you may know, the majority of users who install everything by
default, leave it as is. So I can only think that kde users are afraid
of loosing market, or why have this discussion over and over again.

What kind of argument is that? Should I now answer: since you are against KDE,
whatever desktop you use is afraid that nobody would pick it if he knew KDE
first? That kind of discussion is bogus and I won't get into it. The reasons
why selecting KDE for openSUSE have been listed in this thread, user
statistics is one of them.

I'm not against KDE. I use KDE. And gnome. And others.
I'm against defining a default desktop, its different.

It seems to me that the main reason to set kde as default is to make new users choose kde and increase "market share", with the excuse of no choosing being easier. And that is unfair.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.