Re: [opensuse] Making KDE the default desktop once again
  • From: Graham Anderson <graham.anderson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 02:33:04 +0200
On Wednesday 29 July 2009 02:15:16 Gabriel wrote:
On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 6:41 PM, Sven Burmeister<sven.burmeister@xxxxxxx>
wrote:
The reason for defaults is to help new users because they cannot make a
choice. That's why there are defaults for the filesystem, browser, email-
client, chat client, package patterns in general etc.

A new user does not know what KDE or Gnome is, how should he make a
choice? You could as well put a "feeling lucky" button there.

How did you choose your desktop the first time?, did you know anything
about any desktop env?

Yes of course I did, at the time and to this day, for me KDE is a more
productive environment to use.

If the user does not know, then let him investigate, search, ask. Why
make the choice for them?

Why not make the choice for them? The user surveys show that the type of user
that chooses openSUSE is already knowledgeable about Linux. These people know
they have a choice and will have no problem choosing an alternative. Less than
10% of the users are new users. Focus on what works well for the demographic
that chooses openSUSE, that would be _KDE_.

I don't understand, this isn't the first time you kde's users are
trying to make it default. Why?

The default was KDE previously until internal politics seemed to push GNOME
where it was not wanted.

No the reasons given in openfate are just a mere excuse.

/facepalm