[opensuse] nvidia fan NOISE -- again .. initial temp causes loss of fan control
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 12:38:59 -0500
Listmates,

Nvidia graphic card fan noise has always been an interesting challenge.
I have run into it again, this time with a couple of new symptoms and I thought
I would put this out to the collective wisdom of the group to see if any new
solutions were available.

Scenario

One box has a msi k9n2 platinum board with a phenom 9850 processor and
an evga 8800gt in it. I thought I would stick a spare 9600gt in it to compare
specs (9600 being slightly faster in both core and memory clocks than the 8800
(700/950) compared to (650/800). When the 9600 was first booted (cold) all was
fine, the fans spun up and made lots of noise until kdm was started (normal)
and then fan control proceeded fine. Card temp hovered between 49-52 degrees.

I booted the machine again to boot another OS and this time, the fans
speed stayed at "launch" speed making all kinds of racket. The card temps were
the same 49-52 degrees. WTF? For those with similar cards, you know how loud
these fans can be.

I went through the normal steps, installed nvclock, played with
--fanspeed and nothing changed. It was like the fan was locked at 100% and
stayed there no matter what --fanspeed was set to. I could change the
--fanspeed parameter just fine and the software indication from "nvclock
--info" changed accordingly, but there was No hardware effect at all.

So I swapped the 8800 back in thinking I would try another cold boot
with the 9600 after it cooled. (It wasn't that warm on removal, very
comfortable to the touch even on the heat-sink). An hour or so later I booted
the 9600 again and like the first time, it booted just fine and fan control
proceeded just fine. However, if a reboot is needed, then the fan will stick
and 100% again until then next time it is cold booted.

I have experienced this behavior on both the 8800 and 9600 cards. The
actual card temp doesn't seem to matter. If the card is the least bit warm on
boot, the fan sticks at 100%.

Does anybody know of a workaround for this problem?? (Yes, I know about
the $60 Zalman solution) The problem is obviously driver related and how the
initial card temp effects fan control on boot. Is there anywhere to report this
information withing openSuSE (like some opensuse-nvidia group) or is this just
something to feed back to nvidia? Thanks.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC