Re: [opensuse] WARNING! re latest update to OpenOffice from Novell
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 22:34:54 +1100
Marcus Meissner wrote:
On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 07:07:07PM +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:

Just to be sure, do not allow YaST/zypper (or even smart) to update your
(32-bit) 11.1 installation of OpenOffice to the latest version - leave
it at 3.0.0.9-1.11.

I allowed zypper to update it this morning and now I have one big
f***-up, and lost the ability to run OpenOffice.

I've spent the past 9 hours trying to figure out how to get my working
OO back and the only conclusion I have now come to is for me to use 'rpm
-e OpenOffice*' and reinstall from the DVD (with the BuildService STABLE
for OO *disabled* in the repos).

Now your mileage re this may vary and you may even have had no problems
with YaST updating your OO on your system - which is fine. But if you
are yet to update OO then watch out for the list of the dependency
errors, and then simply do not attempt to update OO.

We did not release an OpenOffice_org update via our regular update channels.

Have you added the openSUSE BS OpenOffice org repo?

Ciao, Marcus

Yes, this was added from the Add repos in YaST's Software Repositories
on the day I installed 11.1 on my test system when 11.1 was first
released and then last week when I installed 11.1 on my "main" system
(see my penultimate para. above).

Ciao.

--
"I do not instruct the uninterested; I do not help those who fail to try. If I
mention one corner of a subject and the pupil does not deduce therefrom the