Re: [opensuse] Kde4 desktop
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 05:26:46 -0600
On Saturday 31 January 2009 04:14:16 am jdd wrote:
After upgrading to kde4.2 and some going back and forth (to from
GNOME) and restarts, my kde4.2 desktop seems to work.

But I still don't really understand what are these folder view or
desktop view... right now I have the desktop folder *and* the... what
can be the name now??? what was the desktop before, that is my screen
background *together* (I have two sets of icons).

Desktop is now Plasma, the UI shell, not directory in the file system.

Where are these non folder icons stored??

Non folder icons?

I see I can reduce the folder view, but then I have only a checker
(that is nothing) as background.

Checker is when you zoom out Activity, folder view is what you removed with
icons from your desktop.

I had sometime ago :-) a background plus a folder frame (cdefault at
install), but I don't know how to have this again...

Right click > Add Widgets, select Folder View and drag on desktop.
Put mouse pointer inside Folder View, right click and select Folder View
Settings, Show the Desktop folder, will give you all desktop icons in the
frame.

any link to a manual?

Short help:
http://help.opensuse.org/kde4/

Longer help:
http://userbase.kde.org/Plasma/4.2

I recommend to install widget Activity Switcher, you will get easy switch
between activities, instead to go to top right corner, zoom out, select
another, zoom in.

I just discovered that program windows opened in one activity is present in
both of them, which contradicts the idea to have different setups for
different activities.

--
Regards, Rajko