Re: [opensuse] Who is using Gnome? (OT)
  • From: Verner Kjærsgaard <vk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 10:22:23 +0100

N B Day skrev:
On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 09:56 -0600, Robert Paulsen wrote:
For me, KDE4 looks to be not worth the learning curve. Since KDE4 forces me to learn *something* new and less usable than KDE3 it seems worth considering Gnome.

I'd be interested in hearing from those who use it and what their experiences are.

I saw this coming and switched my household to Gnome when I installed
11.0 and haven't been sorry. Gnome *is* less configurable than KDE 3.x
but the defaults are fairly sensible and naive users don't have any
trouble being productive right away. The fact that Nautilus shows
mounted USB keys on the desktop, for example, is *very* helpful to new
users. I have eight to ten virtual desktops dedicated to applications
all the time and do a lot in a terminal, so I don't much care if I'm
using KDE, Gnome, XFCE or whatever most of the time.

I was using lots of Gnome stuff when I was running KDE as my desktop,
and I now use k3b and kooka just fine under Gnome, so it really doesn't
make a whole lot of difference.

It doesn't hurt to have a working knowledge of Gnome anyway, since it is
the default for some of the other dominant distros such as Ubuntu. I
found that Linux Mint worked best of all those that I tried on our
antique laptop, so when we grab it out of the rubble and flee the great
earthquake we'll have a familiar desktop.

A side note; N. B. Day's signature is great. How do you do that/automate it?

--
Med venlig hilsen/Best regards

Novell Certified Linux
Professional 10035701