Re: [opensuse] KDE4 - a dumb beginner's question
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 19:53:51 -0600
On Friday 30 January 2009 09:26:07 am Larry Stotler wrote:

I further pointed out how KDE4 has "forgotten" our friends with
disabilites.  Some of them can't even use KDE4 right now, so dropping
support for KDE3 when KDE4 isn't ready for them is going to be a big
problem.

Maybe you want to try some of desktop effects that can help people with weak
vision, like zoom in and magnifier.

Hopefully the KDE 4.3 that it looks like 11.2 will have will
fix a lot of those issues.  Personally, I just want to see
KPersonalizer and a way to make it work like KDE3.  I have yet to find
any use for ANY of the new "enhancements".

Some new stuff is just old one with a new name and somewhat enhanced
abilities.

For instance Activities.
It is like multiple desktops, but each is world for itself. It can contain
classic multiple desktops. In 4.2 is added widget that you can put in panel
that is common for all activities, and switch between activities fast as you
would with normal desktop switcher between desktops. With Folder view you can
open work folder for specific activity and have it always available as a part
of the desktop. When you run out of space in one panel add another one on
side of wide screen that is usually unused, or if you want to have widgets
isolated to single activity just sort them on the side of the screen.

For instance there is now widget that you can use to post text or images in
pastebin.ca or imagebin.ca by simply dragging them and dropping on drop
target, ie. widget. It is somewhat easier then open browser, locate address
in bookmarks and then drop text.

People that are looking how to restore KDE3 in every detail waste their time.
Plasma is very similar to KDE3 desktop if someone wants to be eccentric and
drop bunch of new options, but on the other hand some people even today stick
to command line for all purposes, not only where is easier to use it.

Linux is, first of all, fun and everyone is free to do whatever makes him
happy.

--
Regards, Rajko