Re: [opensuse] Who is using Gnome?
  • From: Eric Springer <erikina@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 10:58:37 +1000
I use and love KDE 4.2. I admit that 4.1 and 4.0 weren't worth using though.

However I don't subscribe to the whole religion. I have gnome
(factory) installed too. The software I use on a regular basis, as
I've judged it to be the best:

Desktop Environment: KDE
Login thing: GDM
Music player: Banshee (new amarok sucks)
File browser: Dolphin
Web browser: Firefox
Email: gmail webclient
Editor: kwrite (far better than gedit imo)
Quick programming: Geany
Instant messaging: pidgin
Terminal: Konsole (significantly better than gnome terminal)
Office: OO.org
Movies: VLC
Graphics: Gimp
Quick bitmap editing: Kolour
Vitualization software: Virtual Box (surpassed vmware in every regard
now, except ease of creating shared folders)
Graphics driver: fglrx (radeonhd still sucks, sorry =/)
Password management: KeePassX
Archiving: Fileroller (latest ark is trash and doesn't support drag and drop)
Torrent: ktorrent
Window manager: kwin (although i'm forced to use metacity when i'm in gnome.)
Mapping: Google earth (rocks)
PDF viewing: Okular (That gnome thing has a few too many quirks)

So yeah, quite a healthy mix here.

There still are still issue with KDE, and I still occasionally use
gnome (just to be disappointed by lack of progress). KDE 4.2 really
makes it worth it, and I'm looking forward to 4.3 to fix the few and
minor issues I have with it.

Regards,
Eric

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 1:56 AM, Robert Paulsen