Re: [opensuse] Who is using Gnome?
  • From: N B Day <nday@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 09:01:51 -0800
learn *something* new and less usable than KDE3 it seems worth considering
Gnome.

I'd be interested in hearing from those who use it and what their experiences
are.

I saw this coming and switched my household to Gnome when I installed
11.0 and haven't been sorry. Gnome *is* less configurable than KDE 3.x
but the defaults are fairly sensible and naive users don't have any
trouble being productive right away. The fact that Nautilus shows
mounted USB keys on the desktop, for example, is *very* helpful to new
users. I have eight to ten virtual desktops dedicated to applications
all the time and do a lot in a terminal, so I don't much care if I'm
using KDE, Gnome, XFCE or whatever most of the time.

I was using lots of Gnome stuff when I was running KDE as my desktop,
and I now use k3b and kooka just fine under Gnome, so it really doesn't
make a whole lot of difference.

It doesn't hurt to have a working knowledge of Gnome anyway, since it is
the default for some of the other dominant distros such as Ubuntu. I
found that Linux Mint worked best of all those that I tried on our
antique laptop, so when we grab it out of the rubble and flee the great
earthquake we'll have a familiar desktop.

--
N. B. Day
N 39° 28' 25" W 119° 48' 37" 1404 meters up