Re: [opensuse] KDE4 - a dumb beginner's question
  • From: Larry Stotler <larrystotler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 10:26:07 -0500
On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 7:14 PM, Constantinos Maltezos
<pandarsson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I thought guys like you were going to quit using KDE when they went from
version 1 to version 2. And then the switch from version 2 to version 3 got
rid of the last of you. Or are you just late in jumping on the bandwagon?

As someone who was there for those changeovers, I can say that the
current switchover is nowhere near as easy as those others.

KDE4 introduced so many different ways to do things that it's become a
real PITA for those os use who customized our current installs to work
like we expect(turn on panel hide buttons, use the older KMenu, etc)
and are used to them working. I read a blog about how one guy thought
KDE4 was so great because it kept him from "cluttering" his desktop up
with files. My reply, which was never responded to, was that IF I put
a file on my desktop, then it's there for a reason.

I further pointed out how KDE4 has "forgotten" our friends with
disabilites. Some of them can't even use KDE4 right now, so dropping
support for KDE3 when KDE4 isn't ready for them is going to be a big
problem. Hopefully the KDE 4.3 that it looks like 11.2 will have will
fix a lot of those issues. Personally, I just want to see
KPersonalizer and a way to make it work like KDE3. I have yet to find
any use for ANY of the new "enhancements".