Re: [opensuse] curl error-connection time out
  • From: Peter Poeml <poeml@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 14:26:30 +0100
On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 08:31:50PM -0800, Andreas wrote:
Am Donnerstag, 29. Januar 2009 17:15:53 schrieb Peter Poeml:
On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 11:11:57AM -0700, Teruel de Campo MD wrote:
Today I finally installing opensuse 11.1 kde 4.2 in all machines.

Q. Using yast software manager to update the system very often I
get a curl error and a connection time out. I retry and everything
is OK.

Everything is working OK but I had to be behind the screen to
interact all the time with this connection time outs. I do not
remember anything like that previously. It may be the server are
very busy.

Any comments.

-=terry=-

Either a broken mirror, or a network problem that gives you problems
reaching (a) mirror(s).

If you can provide me your IP address and a timeframe when this
happened, I can likely find out which mirror is broken and get it
fixed (or disabled), or otherwise tell what's wrong.

I get the same problem, connecting from the sf bay area. Looking at
iftop, there is one mirror that constantly pops up with zero download
speed:
opensuse.secsup.org
So I guess that would be a good candidate to check for breakage.

Thanks for the hint.
Testing from a host located in the US, I get a stable 450k/s download
rate from this host for an iso image; maybe this doesn't work as well
from all locations, or not reliably at all times.

However, I could reproduce a hang (nothing is transferred) for a smaller
file:

230 Anonymous user logged in
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
200 TYPE is now 8-bit binary
250 OK. Current directory is /pub
250 OK. Current directory is /pub/linux
250 OK. Current directory is /pub/linux/opensuse
250 OK. Current directory is /pub/linux/opensuse/distribution
250 OK. Current directory is /pub/linux/opensuse/distribution/11.1
250 OK. Current directory is /pub/linux/opensuse/distribution/11.1/iso
openSUSE-11.1-Addon-NonOss-ppc.iso.torrent
229 Extended Passive mode OK (|||49919|)
200 PORT command successful

421 Service not available, remote server timed out. Connection closed

I have disabled FTP access to that mirror, and I'll notify the operators
about the problem. (HTTP access has other issues on that mirror; it may
become available at a later time.)

Thank you *very* much for the input!

And, you can already test http://en.opensuse.org/Libzypp/Failover
today, if you want, which is the way to go for the future.

Way to go!

Please, everybody, vote for this feature to support it:
https://features.opensuse.org/302923
and
https://features.opensuse.org/305320

(There is a "vote" functionality since yesterday)

Thanks,
Peter
--
Contact: admin@xxxxxxxxxxxx (a.k.a. ftpadmin@xxxxxxxx)