Re: [opensuse] User name typo error when installing oS - how to rectify
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 23:38:28 +1100
nordi wrote:
Verner Kjærsgaard wrote:

just my two cents...
should you not also change the 'fed' entry in /etc/shadow ?
and check the /etc/group file??

That is probably the reason why the "usermod" command was invented.

usermod --login=fred --home=/home/fred --move-home fed

will get the job done.

Regards
nordi

Thank you for your suggestion - however I could not make it work. The
main error was that the actual directory represented by "--move-home
fed" did not exist according to usermod. And getting a blank line when
one executed 'usermod --usage' did not help at all :-) .

As you may have read in my reply to Anders I repaired my typing error
and now have my correct logon name.

Ciao.

--
"I do not instruct the uninterested; I do not help those who fail to try. If I
mention one corner of a subject and the pupil does not deduce therefrom the