Re: [opensuse] First attempt at installing wireless
  • From: Pete Connolly <pete.connolly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 12:18:16 +0000
On Wednesday 28 Jan 2009 15:19:28 Greg Freemyer wrote:
All,

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 with a Broadcom Corporation BCM4312
wireless controller (per lspci).

Per http://en.opensuse.org/HCL/Network_Adapters_(Wireless)

For the BCM 4312 it says:
11.0 Native kernel driver. First check if b43-fwcutter is installed,
if not install it, then run as root the included script:
install_bcm43xx_firmware from the /usr/sbin directory. You have to be
already connected to the Internet to run the script. Restart your
system to load the driver.

I've just done that and I still am not showing a wireless controller
at all via ifconfig or iwconfig.

That page does not have OS 11.1 info, but I assume it is still supported.

What else am I supposed to do?

Hi Greg

I had a problem getting my wireless to work, a Broadcom BCM 4238. Even
installing ndiswrapper and using the correct driver from the windows partition
didn't work until I blacklisted the ssb module.

Can you check to see if ssb is loaded, and if so rmmod it and try your network
setup again. If that works, you can blacklist it in the
/etc/modprobe.conf.local file.

Cheers

Pete