[opensuse] Re: Important system files/folders to back-up
  • From: Joachim Schrod <jschrod@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 13:00:47 +0100
Jay Mistry wrote:
On my home network, I daily backup

/etc and /usr/local/etc completely.
/var/{backups,named,pgk-get,sadm,spool,yp}
/var/lib/{apt,mailman,mysql,pgsql,ldap,named,samba,rpm,zypp,nagios}
/root
/boot/grub

I don't use any database/server apps (also not familiar with those);
as mentioned this is just a stand-alone home PC for general
(documents, Internet, etc + to learn Linux) use; so minus those, would
probably backup the other dirs. Basically, was not sure of the main
directories (folders) to be backed up on a Linux system. Also, /home
(all) and /etc (all).

Please note that my list were only concerned with *system* files,
as to the original question. Data and user files are a completely
different matter. /home should surely always be part of a backup.

How does one backup those (esp. 'partition infos' ) ?

I have experienced disks loosing their partition table, that's why
I do it. Usually it suffices to just save the output of "fdisk -l
/dev/sda" or whatever disk you have. That doesn't work in all
cases, that's spelled out in the script that I had appended.

(I believe the list of installed RPM's can be backed up as an
.xml file (from YaST --. Software Management) ?

Just call "rpm -a" and save the output.

I don't have enough spare time to help you set up such a backup, sorry.

Cheers,
Joachim