Re: [opensuse] KDE in 11.1
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 20:04:40 -0600
On Wednesday 28 January 2009 03:53:32 pm Robert Paulsen wrote:
Hi,

Just installed SuSE 11.1 with KDE 4.1.

KDE 4.1 will take some getting used to.

Well, just skip it. Go to the 4.2.

A few questions:

What is the "plasma dashboard"? I started it from icon at bottom of screen
and all it did was put a tiny message up at the top of the screen saying
"Plasma" and make everything else disappear. Clicking anywhere caused the
"Plasma" message to go away and everything else to come back. Not sure what
this is supposed to do.

http://userbase.kde.org/Plasma#General_Questions
see:
My widgets are hidden under the windows. How can I show them?

This is where dashboard is used.

When I first logged in there was a strange semi transparent window showing
with some normal desktop icons in it. I closed the window to see what would
happen and now can't get it back. Where did it go and where did my desktop
icons go?

Right click on empty space on desktop, select Add Widgets.
The one that you are looking for is Folder View.
When added play a bit with right click and options for Folder View.

Every time I open a console window it alternates it shape from vertical
rectangle to horizontal rectangle. How can I get it to only open as a
vertical rectangle?

The way things are going I will probably have more questions?

Bob

in addition to Sven's link:
http://userbase.kde.org/Plasma

--