Re: [opensuse] bug in kernel-source-2.6.27.13-2.1 from http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/HEAD/openSUSE_Factory/
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 14:08:33 +1100
Anders Johansson wrote:
On Wednesday 28 January 2009 03:18:31 Basil Chupin wrote:

I take your point, but the question has to be asked is why was
paravirtualisation removed from the kernel? Is this removal then also to
be implemented in the general Linux kernel or is this only a Novell
kernel specific "fiddle"?

That question doesn't make any sense.

Of course it doesn't make sense - because of my (incorrect) use of the
word "removed".

Earlier posts spoke about "disabled". Therefore I should have used
"disabled" rather than "removed".

So the question then becomes whether this disablement is something only
applicable in oS/SLE or is this disablement meant to apply to the kernel
irrespective of distros it's used in?

If the answer is only with Novell kernels then the problem is not with
nVidia but with the (Novell) kernel; but if the disablement will apply
in all "versions", so to speak, of the kernel then nVidia will have to
amend its code to account for the disablement of paravirtualisation
(which is basically what I tried to state in an earlier post).

The "general linux kernel" is a source
distribution, and what you're talking about is a compile flag, deciding what
goes into the binary package

paravirtualisation wasn't removed, it was just disabled at compile time

Why is anyone running KOTD for anything other than testing anyway?

Why do people climb Everest? :-)

Ciao.

--
"I do not instruct the uninterested; I do not help those who fail to try. If I
mention one corner of a subject and the pupil does not deduce therefrom the