Re: [opensuse] novell web site broke as heck
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 19:03:34 -0600
Brian K. White wrote:
So, I go to log in to the novell web site to order the latest retail boxed
dvd, as I have done since at least 9.1

But I get presented with some new form that demands I fill in some "required"
profile info (that they have been living without all these years up to now
somehow...) before allowing me to proceed.

So, web forms and marketing databasing and registration annoy the hell out of
me and I absolutely hate crap like this, but it's universal so I fill it in
anyways even though I _hate_ doing so. I'm feeling so magnanimous that I even
fill in the phone number field even though it was not marked as a required
field.

The submit fails and the redrawn form says more info required and the phone
number field is empy. So apparently it wants a phone number despite being
marked as optional, and although I had actually filled in a phone number,
apparently it didn't like the format I had used with no dashes, spaces, or
perens.

Well now I'm annoyed and perversely don't want to fill in the phone number
field (even though my cmpanies main public phone number is of course no
secret), and my initial tolerance for playing along and cooperating with
these forms which I hate is now gone and I'm back to my real feling of hating
the whole form, let alone any particula field.

So I hit the feedback link on the page and submit a feedback about the form
being broken.

The _feedback_ form breaks! 500 internal server error

OK maybe my long winded message with cut & paste copy of my filled-in form
with error message was too long for the feedback form to accept (although
there is no message size limit displayed on the page).

So I try to submit a new fedback about _that_ with the difference being a
very short and plain message with no ususual cut&paste's in the message body,
just a short sentence.

THAT fails!

Awsome! Why didn't I think of that ingenius way to improve my own companies
support statistics? Just make the support and feedback mechanisms broken and
voila! Hardly any support calls or negative feedback! Pure genius! I wonder
if this last ditch manual email to support@xxxxxxxxxx will bounce?

It's a defensive mechanism put in place after kde4 was unleashed on the public.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC