Re: [opensuse] Organize Your Digital Photos - exiftool and jhead
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 11:50:34 -0800
On Wednesday January 28 2009, David C. Rankin wrote:
Listmates,

Many of you already know, but for those that don't, one of the
biggest pains about digital cameras is organizing the hundreds or
thousands of 103Z2987.jpg files into a meaningful file structure that
allows you to find pictures when you need them.

A filename like 103Z2987.jpg doesn't tell me anything about that
photo except that it came from my wife's camera because I set her
camera to create 103Z... files. What I want in a filename is
information that tells me when the picture was taken that will sort
in chronological order no matter what I am looking at them with. I
like a filename of the form YYYY-mm-DD-HHMMSS.jpg. For example:

2009-01-27-165238.jpg

I have to differ with this. File names cannot and should not contain
metadata. It's the least capacious and accessible and the most limited
place for such information, and a date alone is not likely to tell you
much, especially for a day that was busy and on which you collected
many photos.

It's the same thing with file names. They're arbitrary and if you want
to be able to find things, it has to be based on their content.

Let you camera name the files whatever gibberish it wants. Use a proper
image database program, local or Internet-based, to extract, catalog
and enable searching.

David C. Rankin

Randall Schulz