Re: [opensuse] KDE4.2
  • From: Rodney Wishart <rwishhart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 09:50:16 -0500
Basil Chupin wrote:
Rodney Wishart wrote:

Basil Chupin wrote:

Rodney Wishart wrote:

Hi Basil,

Glad to here 4.2 is running OK for you. For the benefit of those on
this list, could you please post your YaST repository config re. 4.2 and
any dependency resolutions you had to deal with.

Rodney

See my message I posted several minutes ago in reply to Jason. That
contains what you want.

Ciao.

PS The repos mentioned are in addition to the standard ones you would
have selected to keep 11.1 and KDE4 up-to-date.

Thanks Basil.

Glad to be of help.

Just finished my 4.2 upgrade. One thing I noticed right away, the
ability to place spacer widgets on the panel have gone are missing.

Didn't even know that such existed. With me, simply placing a
"widgie"[1] on the panel automatically creates a space between it and
the one(s) next to it.

However, there is one new 'feature': when assigning a new "widgie" to
the panel one has to move it into the LH-side of the panel, next to the
Geeko.

They were really a great help to keep all my icons from being squished
to one side. Also, my sound is kinda choppy. I have onboard usb sound
and while it was usable in 4.1.3 its even worse in 4.2. Go figure?

You are aware that pulseaudio is a PITA when it comes to sound and that
uninstalling it, and using ALSA, gets sound back to what it is supposed
to be?

You may also be interested in this:

http://en.opensuse.org/Configure%2C_Build_and_Install_a_Custom_Linux_Kernel

Improved my TV viewing/sound no end.

Ciao.

Basil,

You're right about Pulse Audio. For me its a giant PITA!! Anyway, I
tried to remove it once when I was in the KDE 4.1.3 stage, and it was a
mess. YaST wanted to remove most of my sound/audio packages and I just
gave up fighting the dependencies. Has anyone ever come up with exactly
which parts of Pulse you can remove and which ones have to stay? And,
"PULSE" is a great name for this code, because every time I think about
this little gem, the headache I get really dose pulse. :)

Rodney