Re: [opensuse] Problem with printing Postscript files
  • From: Johannes Meixner <jsmeix@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 12:38:05 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

On Jan 27 23:30 Stephen Berman wrote (shortened):
I have a Brother DCP-115C and with the MFC210 driver from Brother I have
been able to print all types of files from all applications under
openSUSE. But now with openSUSE 11.1 (using the same Brother driver I
have used since I think openSUSE 9.3 or earlier), Postscript files are
not graphically interpreted: the printer outputs the compiled Postscript
code. If I convert the Postscript file to PDF, it prints out fine.
... a suggestion how to try to diagnose it?

Have a look at
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Using_Your_Own_Filters_to_Print_with_CUPS
to get an idea how the CUPS filtering works and for the basics see
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell

Then inspect /var/log/cups/error_log which filters
are run for your PostScript files, see the section
"If problems are encountered:" in
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell

Look for "Request file type" and "File of type"
and "Started filter" lines in the error_log
and possible subsequent (error)-messages.

Because PostScript files are graphically interpreted
on my openSUSE 11.1 workstation I assume that something
goes wrong with your driver from Brother because I do not
use such a driver.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex