Re: [opensuse] resizing NTFS partitions?
  • From: Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 00:51:44 -0500
On Tue, 2009-01-27 at 16:56 -0500, Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 4:29 PM, Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx> wrote:
On 2009/01/27 11:23 (GMT-0500) Greg Freemyer composed:

How do I "clean" my NTFS partitions via Vista (or whatever) such that
I can resize them during a OpenSUSE 11.1 install?

== What I tried
I have a laptop that came with Vista home edition.

Does the Home Edition lack Vista's own partition resizing tool? If not, then
use it. Google quickly found me
http://www.vistarewired.com/2007/02/16/how-to-resize-a-partition-in-windows-vista
to explain how to use it. Note that like provides a link to a command line
tool to perform the same function for those who'd rather not use a GUI
partitioner.

By default, Vista uses a different partition alignment scheme than
traditional partitioning tools. If you want to change the size of most
pre-installed Vista NTFS partitions, best to use its own tool provided for
exactly that purpose. If you're installing from scratch, then partition
first
with your favorite traditional tool, and Vista will be perfectly happy to
use
what you offer it.
--
"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he
is old he will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/

Thanks Felix,

Can't say I know much about Vista. Nice to see it has a resizing tool.

My limited exposure to it leaves me thinking that in the hands of a
typical Windows user, doing an install, it's too peril ridden. On the
plus side it seems to have an utility that allows you to run legacy XP
programs in native mode, but I really don't know much about it.