Re: [opensuse] Anti-virus in Linux (openSUSE 11.1), is it required ?
  • From: Sunny <sloncho@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 15:22:36 -0600
On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 3:10 PM, Larry Stotler <larrystotler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 12:38 PM, James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have a separate firewall, so I don't enable it on my other computers. The
main purpose for AV on Linux is when it's used a server for Windows boxes.
Viruses are not an issue for Linux.

Agreed. Almost all routers have a firewall built-in so it's kinda
pointless to have a firewall running on a desktop behind one. On a
laptop, that's a different story. I always disable the firewall on my
desktops.

There's a small chance if there's an infected windows machine on the
network (or even let a friend with an infected machine to join your
wifi) that exposes your desktop to a risk. Again - small chance, but

Cheers

--
Svetoslav Milenov (Sunny)

Even the most advanced equipment in the hands of the ignorant is just
a pile of scrap.