[opensuse] Recover stupidly deleted files
  • From: Regis Matejcik <rm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 13:33:20 -0600
I'm using Suse 11.0. (reiserfs file system) I stupidly deleted an
important directory and it's backup. I used "reiserfsck --rebuild-tree"
to try to recover the directory and files. It succeeded in recovering
many files and storing them in a "lost and found" file. Most of
the .pdf and .mp3 files were rebuilt in tact, but thousands of files are
simply unidentifiable binary files. I'm guessing they're mostly Open
Office documents since that was the majority of what was lost.

I also tried Reiserfs File Recovery 1.0 which proved to be of little
help.

Any hints on anything that might either unscramble the files from
reiserfsck, or do a better job of recovering files?

Thanks,

Regis