Re: [opensuse] 11.0 - Can't make A4 paper default go away
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 11:49:39 -0600
Felix Miata wrote:
On 2009/01/27 02:59 (GMT-0600) David C. Rankin composed:

Felix Miata wrote:

Whenever I try to print for the first time in a new app or new user, nothing
happens if I don't remember to go into the app's paper setup and select the
proper paper. It seems this is because I own no A4 paper nor A4 paper trays,
yet the system defaults to A4 paper.

In YaST2 printer, after waiting eternally for repo data I didn't ask for to
download, I select printer options for my only printer, and driver options
default paper in your printer is grayed out and set to A4. How do I change
the global default to letter? What mysterious file is set to A4? How do I
eradicate the possibility of using A4 paper? Is it even possible to acquire
A4 paper in the USA?

Felix -- tisk, tisk

Everybody knows that the master default paper size setting is in kde
control
panel, under Country/Region & Language, then under the 'Other' tab at the far
right.

Did I write anything about KDE? What do Gnome users do? XFCE? LXDE? Other
non-KDE?

That was presumptuous of me, I apologize. Take a look at
/etc/suseconfig:

## Type: yesno
## Config: groff
## Default: yes
#
# Update /etc/papersize to get page sizes for groff correct? (yes/no)
#
UPDATE_GROFF_CONF="yes"
## Type: string(letter,legal,a4,b5)
## Config: groff
## Default: ""
#
# By default, SuSEconfig tries to get the correct page size
# from your system wide locale (i.e. from the system wide value of
# LC_PAPER, which is possibly inherited from the system wide value of LANG).
# If you want to set a page size for groff different from that,
# you can set GROFF_PAGESIZE to the following values
# letter, legal, a4, b5
#
GROFF_PAGESIZE="letter"

--