Re: [opensuse] 11.0 - Can't make A4 paper default go away
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 11:15:27 -0500
On 2009/01/27 23:28 (GMT+1100) Basil Chupin composed:

It is therefore the obvious
choice to have A4 as the default and if American users - who are in the
minority - want Letter then they should alter the default setting.

The obvious choice is for the installation process to, upon the user's
selection of a TZ city as a locale, globally set the time format, date
formats, first day of week, paper size and measure system most often
appropriate for the city selected. It's not exactly doing that now. For
several years of always selecting America New York, I've noticed a glaring
inconsistency.

My best recollection, as I've not done a fresh install for several weeks, is
that normal users get different defaults from a root X login, at least in KDE3.

normal root preference
time AM/PM HHMMSS HHMMSS
date-l dmyyyy ditto ditto
date-s mmddyy yyyymmddyyyymmdd
first sunday monday sunday
paper letter A4 letter
measure imperia metric metric
--
"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he
is old he will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/