Re: [opensuse] bug in kernel-source-2.6.27.13-2.1 from http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/HEAD/openSUSE_Factory/
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 23:51:47 +1100
Rainer Klier wrote:
Am Tuesday 27 January 2009 08:58:19 schrieb Basil Chupin:

Rainer Klier wrote:

Am Monday 26 January 2009 17:48:34 schrieb Ben Kevan:

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 07:03:18 -0800, Rainer Klier <r.klier@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

there must have been some changes between 2.6.27.12-1 and 2.6.27.13-2
which have something to do with these missing symbols.

does anybody know anything about this error?

Have you filed into http://bugzilla.novell.com ?

not yet, because, factory-kernel is something "not-official".
latest official-update-kernel for opensuse11.1 works, no problem.
so the novell-guys propably would reject the bug-report.

But the SuSE-guys may not.

i asked Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx> directly.
he said:

Sorry, we do not support the nvidia driver at all, if you use it, you
are on your own :(

Please contact nvidia if you have any problems with this driver.

good luck,

Takashi Iwai <tiwai@xxxxxxx> said the following on the
opensuse-kernel-mailinglist:

It seems that we recently disabled paravirt on default config.
So pv_* don't exist any more.

I guess it's a problem nvidia side, e.g. you are building with the old
object refering to non-existing pv_*.

Disabling paravirt in the *default* config doesn't mean, to me at least,
that that parameter has been removed - just disabled.

And if so then they (SUSE) can re-enable it again. The goobly-dook
language used by Takashi is simply meant to throw you off the scent: he
is "[guessing] it's a problem nvidia side [sic]" but it isn't because
SUSE disabled parvirt in the default config.

Andreas told you to discuss it in opensuse-kernel and you should ask his
opinion on this matter in that forum.

Ciao.

PS. Have a look yourself at the config file for the kernel and see
whether "pv_*" exists and how it is set.

--
"I do not instruct the uninterested; I do not help those who fail to try. If I
mention one corner of a subject and the pupil does not deduce therefrom the