Re: [opensuse] opensuse 11.1 and command not found
  • From: Michal Vyskocil <mvyskocil@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 13:22:09 +0100
On Tuesday 27 of January 2009 12:50:44 Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
Maybe this is not new to 11.1, but this is where I noticed it: When you
type a command that is not found, the shell looks up where the command
might be found, and tells you which package to install. Generally this
seems like a nice touch. I have a few questions:

1) Where is it looking for information on where the missing command can
be installed from?

It uses a SOLV files with repository metadata. So it works with every
repository you have in your system.

2) If this feature can find which package that is not installed contains
the file, why can't YasT show the files in packages that are not
installed? There must be a database somewhere for this.

Repository metadata contains only a list of binary files (it comes form rpm-md
standard). I don't know why there's not support in Yast, maybe just no one
wrote it :-)

3) Does it deal with commands that are installed, but perhaps not in
your PATH?

Yes, it does:
$ update-alternatives

Program 'update-alternatives' is present in package 'update-alternatives',
which is installed on your system.

Absolute path to 'update-alternatives' is '/usr/sbin/update-alternatives', so
it might be intended to be run only by user with superuser privileges (eg.
root).

bash: update-alternatives: command not found

4) JIC, how could this feature be disabled? Not that I want to...

It was discussed many times after release of 11.1, because many users don't
like it. It's described on project main page [1] and a new page with openSUSE
tweaks [2]. It will be also available in Release Notes ...

You can uninstall the ``command-not-found'' package, or suppress it by
unset command_not_found_handle
in your profile

[1] http://en.opensuse.org/Scout
[2] http://en.opensuse.org/Tweaking