Re: [opensuse] Anti-virus in Linux (openSUSE 11.1), is it required ?
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 07:01:15 -0500
Sandy Drobic said the following on 01/27/2009 06:52 AM:
Jay Mistry wrote:
I use openSUSE 11.1 Linux (dual-boot with Win XP Prof.) for general
home use (browse Internet, documents, occasional music/video view,
etc). For this type of use, are either/both of these required:
I have an always-on cable Internet connection (broadband).

1) A Firewall (default App Armour is enabled)

2) Anti-virus (opSUSE 11.1 has clam antivirus)

Should one leave them on & update as necessary or is it safe to browse
without them enabled ?

Exploits exist for all browsers, so if you are using your machine to surf the
internet it is recommended to have a virus scanner installed and the firewall
active.

Does ClamAV scan the HTTP stream? I thought it was an e-mail scanner.

The same goes for documents like pdf files.

Are you talking about scanning the file system rather than incoming data
steam? If you are viewing PDFs at remote sites via an embedded tool in
your browser then you need either a stream scanner or something built
into the browser.

Does ClamAV do this? I was under the impression it didn't.

--
There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing.
Unfortunately, no pilot knows what they are.