Re: [opensuse] Anti-virus in Linux (openSUSE 11.1), is it required ?
  • From: "ne..." <guhvies@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 11:57:21 +0000
On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 11:44, Jay Mistry <jaylinux53@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I use openSUSE 11.1 Linux (dual-boot with Win XP Prof.) for general
home use (browse Internet, documents, occasional music/video view,
etc). For this type of use, are either/both of these required:
I have an always-on cable Internet connection (broadband).

1) A Firewall (default App Armour is enabled)

2) Anti-virus (opSUSE 11.1 has clam antivirus)

Should one leave them on & update as necessary or is it safe to browse
without them enabled ?
Linux is affected by very few viruses so it will generally be fine. If
you download
files in Lunix and access them in WinXP, that may problematic if the file was
infected and clamav did not catch it. So I would run a firewall and
antivirus, if
files were going to be shared between the OpSys, on _both_ OpSys.

HTH
ne...
Now accepting personal mail for GMail invites.
Bill Cosby - "A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid
ones that need the advice."