Re: [opensuse] Upgrade from 10.1 to 11.1
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 03:14:20 -0600
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 13:57 -0300, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
Roger Oberholtzer escribió:
Has anyone done this specific upgrade of openSUSE? If so, any pitfalls?
I am hoping to avoid having to do a new install on this type of machine.

Yes, I did it with zypper once, and it worked, not without glitched though.

a) add 11.1 repositories, remove the old ones
b) upgrade rpm using either yast or rug(cough, cough)
c) install zypper and all its dependencies, do not mess with
dependencies manually, let the system to decide.
d) run zypper ref and then zypper dup, of course, before that, add the
repos to zypper if not there.
e) once complete, update fstab and grub boot menu to use /dev/sdX
instead of /dev/hdX if needed.
f) remove package "devs" if installed
e) prey to your favorite $DEITY heh :P
f) reboot

warning: this procedure is absolutely unsupported, if it eats your
babies, you are on your own.

I do not need to do it on the running system. I was thinking of booting
with the 11.1 DVD and choosing to do an update rather than an install.
That is of curse if such an option will be given. I have not tried yet -
the system is across the country.

One more note on the install/update issue. Since 11.0, if you choose Install,
then the installer generally determines what your home partition is and
preserves/does not format that partition thereby preserving all your tweaks and
settings. If it were me, I would just use yast to save you package list from
10.1, pop the 11.1 dvd in and choose install, and confirm that your /home
partition won't be touched and just go with it.

I tried a 10.3 to 11.0 'update' the blew up on dependencies leading my to go
the route I just explained. Bottom line, it took me 3 times longer jacking with
package dependencies on the 'update' than it did just to do the install. My
/home wasn't touched during the install and I know what packages I load, so the
install worked like a perfect upgrade here.

You can try the update. Personally, I think Christians' method of using zypper
has a much better chance at doing the actual update compared to letting yast
try and do it.

Keep this in your hip pocket for when the dependencies start flying ;-)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC