Re: [opensuse] Samba Help
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 00:24:42 -0600
Donald D Henson wrote:
(Earth-svr:/home/dhenson/Desktop # uname -a
Linux Earth-svr 2.6.27.7-9-pae #1 SMP 2008-12-04 18:10:04 +0100 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux)

Yes, I'm the guy who asked for Samba help before and I'm still
struggling with it. I've googled the web and found several howtos and
have attempted to follow their instructions. I installed Swat and played
around with that. Finally, I discovered GAdmin-Samba. Not much help
there either. I decided to try yet another restart, forgot the 're', and
got the following responses. This looks like a clue but I can't figure
out what it's trying to tell me. Would someone have a look at the
exchanges below and tell me if it really is a clue or am I still
clueless. (Sorry. I couldn't resist.) Aany help appreciated.

Earth-svr:/home/dhenson/Desktop # service smb start
Starting Samba SMB daemon - Warning: /var/run/samba/smbd.pid exists. done
Earth-svr:/home/dhenson/Desktop # service smb restart
Shutting down Samba SMB daemon Warning: daemon not running. done
Starting Samba SMB daemon - Warning: /var/run/samba/smbd.pid exists. done
Earth-svr:/home/dhenson/Desktop #

Don,

Looks like your server shut down hard and let the pid files in place.
Like
time said, check for a running smbd process (you probably won't find it). If
you do kill it with kill pid. If you don't, just

rm /var/run/samba/smbd.pid

and restart.

I've updated my samba page a bit if that's any help to you:

http://www.3111skyline.com/linux/openSuSE-server.php#samba

Good luck

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.