Re: [opensuse] 11.1 -- DNS not working, IPv6 is disabled???
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 20:48:22 +0100 (CET)

On Monday, 2009-01-26 at 13:18 -0600, Peter Van Lone wrote:

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 1:07 PM, Peter Van Lone <petervl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So it is. The output of that program will give me some clue of what is
happening at your side.

"connection timed out, no servers could be reached"

an interesting bit: if I do host -v www.novell.com then I get the message above.

However, if I use only an unqualifed hostname, then it replies with:

"trying hostname.domain.com" where the domain.com that it fills in, is
NOT what is configured via DHCP, and is NOT correct for the network
the machine is connected to. Where is it getting that info, and where
can I tell it to stop?

It should be asking to the DNS server listed in the file '/etc/resolv.conf'. In my case, with a local server:

cer@nimrodel:~> cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 192.168.1.12 <=== dns server to query
search valinor <=== domain name to add.

When you configure the network in yast, you can tell it to use the dns it gets via dhcp, or to ignore it.

One important line in the output from 'host -v HOSTNAME' is this one:

] Received 78 bytes from 192.168.1.12#53 in 1 ms

which tells the exact dns server it is querying.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.