Re: [opensuse] Upgrade from 10.1 to 11.1
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 18:22:02 +0100
On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 13:57 -0300, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
Roger Oberholtzer escribió:
Has anyone done this specific upgrade of openSUSE? If so, any pitfalls?
I am hoping to avoid having to do a new install on this type of machine.

Yes, I did it with zypper once, and it worked, not without glitched though.

a) add 11.1 repositories, remove the old ones
b) upgrade rpm using either yast or rug(cough, cough)
c) install zypper and all its dependencies, do not mess with
dependencies manually, let the system to decide.
d) run zypper ref and then zypper dup, of course, before that, add the
repos to zypper if not there.
e) once complete, update fstab and grub boot menu to use /dev/sdX
instead of /dev/hdX if needed.
f) remove package "devs" if installed
e) prey to your favorite $DEITY heh :P
f) reboot

warning: this procedure is absolutely unsupported, if it eats your
babies, you are on your own.

I do not need to do it on the running system. I was thinking of booting
with the 11.1 DVD and choosing to do an update rather than an install.
That is of curse if such an option will be given. I have not tried yet -
the system is across the country.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB
Krukmakargatan 21
P.O. Box 17009
SE-104 62 Stockholm, Sweden

Office: Int +46 8-615 60 20
Mobile: Int +46 70-815 1696

--

"On two occasions I have been asked (by members of Parliament!),
'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures,

And remember:

It is like talking about a large city with all construction finished.
Not impossible, but very unlikely.