Re: [opensuse] Upgrade from 10.1 to 11.1
  • From: Cristian Rodríguez <crrodriguez@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 13:57:18 -0300
Roger Oberholtzer escribió:
Has anyone done this specific upgrade of openSUSE? If so, any pitfalls?
I am hoping to avoid having to do a new install on this type of machine.

Yes, I did it with zypper once, and it worked, not without glitched though.

a) add 11.1 repositories, remove the old ones
b) upgrade rpm using either yast or rug(cough, cough)
c) install zypper and all its dependencies, do not mess with
dependencies manually, let the system to decide.
d) run zypper ref and then zypper dup, of course, before that, add the
repos to zypper if not there.
e) once complete, update fstab and grub boot menu to use /dev/sdX
instead of /dev/hdX if needed.
f) remove package "devs" if installed
e) prey to your favorite $DEITY heh :P
f) reboot

warning: this procedure is absolutely unsupported, if it eats your
babies, you are on your own.

--
"We have art in order not to die of the truth" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Cristian Rodríguez R.
Software Developer
Platform/OpenSUSE - Core Services
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH