Re: [opensuse] Desktop icons in gnome disappeared, openSUSE 11.1
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 17:14:00 +0100 (CET)

On Monday, 2009-01-26 at 20:04 +0530, Jay Mistry wrote:

Also, if it is any help, at system boot-up (when I login as Normal
User, the following Error Message is displayed:
< Type mismatch: Expected `string' got `int' for key
/apps/nautilus/desktop/computer_icon_name >

You could change that by running "gconf-editor". The setting for that variable I have is <no value>. If you double click on it, a box appears where you can define both type and value; set it to "string" and leave the value empty - I think.

But when I login as 'root' user, there is no such Error Message, and
all the Desktop icons are displayed & Nautilus also works fine. Is
there a way to copy the gnome configuration settings for the 'root'
user to the 'normal' user. If yes, I think it would solve the problem.

It would be better to create a new user and copy those. Better that the ones from root, which could be "special".

Defaults... I'm unsure, but you could delete the configuration directories
to force a recreation.

What/ where are the configuration directories (I can just copy them to
another location as 'root' and put them back again if re-creation
doesn't work).

Well, there are a bunch of directories named .gnome[something], plus some files, like one named .gtkrc

Also, is it possible to uninstall & then re-install gnome desktop? I
see many gnome apps in 'Software Management', but no option to remove
gnome itself ?

No need to remove gnome, and it would not work, because the configuration files are not removed, meaning your system would reuse your local configuration files again.

Yes, gnome can be removed by deselecting the pattern "gnome" in yast. But watch out, these operations are really dangerous as they some times remove packages you do not want to remove. I remember a thread of some one who ended with an unbootable system.

- -- Cheers.