Re: [opensuse] No boot screen anymore...
  • From: JB2 <yonaton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 09:35:57 -0600
On 26 January 09, Teruel de Campo MD wrote:

On Sun, 2009-01-25 at 23:07 -0600, JB2 wrote:
Hey gang,

After an kernel update with Yast (last year...took me a while to
remember to
ask about this!), when I rebooted my (10.3) system, instead of a nice
green
(or hope of hope, the penguins) screen, I get a bunch of words in a
large(ish) font scrolling by real fast before the login screen finally
pops
up (it looks like the stuff one would later find in /var/log of
somekind).

What happened? Why did a kernel update change my nice green screen
to this
suddenly? How do I get my screen back instead of this humongous
ugliness of
gibberish scrolling along? Is it something to do with menu.lst, which
this is
what mine looks like:

Do you have an usb HD attached and on during boot? If that is the case
unplug or turn off the usb device and see if that makes a difference.

Just an old webcam. I unplugged it and rebooted, but it made no difference.
It booted fine with the webcam plugged in *before* the kernel update though.

Thing is, on the other SuSE numbers I've used (7.3, 8.2 or .3, 9.3 and now
10.3) this same exact thing happened whenever I did a kernel update through
YaST. I'm just finally sick of it enough (and another thread (re: grub and
the march of penguins) brought it back to my attention enough to remember to
write about it) to want to figure out how to get things back to 'normal'.

I tried some searches on yahoo/google, but nothing is turning up much except
something to do with cpio. I could probably use the steps in the write-up,
but it is for using another jpg, not whatever the stock picture was. I'd like
to once, just once, after 9 years of SuSE use, be able to see the easter egg
for winter boot-up and any others during boot-up that all I get to do is
*read* about.

--
"The tree of liberty must be occasionally watered with the blood
of tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson