Re: [opensuse] Desktop icons in gnome disappeared, openSUSE 11.1
  • From: Jay Mistry <jaylinux53@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 20:04:11 +0530
All the icons are displayed by nautilus, so if it doesn't run, there are
none.

Try, in a terminal (xterm, gnome-terminal):

ps ax | grep -i nautilus

If it is running, kill it:

killall nautilus
killall -9 nautilus

and finally, restart it:

nautilus &

and see if it writes an error message that gives a clue.

This is what I get:
linux-7rtc:~ # nautilus &
[1] 7062
linux-7rtc:~ # Initializing nautilus-open-terminal extension
Initializing nautilus-dice extension

** (nautilus:7062): WARNING **: Unable to add monitor: Operation not
supported

(This last error message < Monitor ... operation not supported > it
seems, is a known Nautilus bug....Google search showed as much).

Also, if it is any help, at system boot-up (when I login as Normal
User, the following Error Message is displayed:
< Type mismatch: Expected `string' got `int' for key
/apps/nautilus/desktop/computer_icon_name >

But when I login as 'root' user, there is no such Error Message, and
all the Desktop icons are displayed & Nautilus also works fine. Is
there a way to copy the gnome configuration settings for the 'root'
user to the 'normal' user. If yes, I think it would solve the problem.

Defaults... I'm unsure, but you could delete the configuration directories
to force a recreation.

What/ where are the configuration directories (I can just copy them to
another location as 'root' and put them back again if re-creation
doesn't work).

Also, is it possible to uninstall & then re-install gnome desktop? I
see many gnome apps in 'Software Management', but no option to remove
gnome itself ?

Thanks,

Jay
==