Re: [opensuse] Desktop icons in gnome disappeared, openSUSE 11.1
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 14:49:17 +0100 (CET)

On Monday, 2009-01-26 at 18:52 +0530, Jay Mistry wrote:

Any way I can restore them? Is there a gnome settings backup (similar
to how some system files, such as xorg.conf are backed-up) ?

Nautilus crashed. Just restart it (alt-f2, type "nautilus", enter.

That did not work. Is there a backup config file that can be restored
from? Clicking on Nautilus shortcut in panel also does not bring about
Nautilus.

Also, there are no desktop icons & right-clicking on the desktop dows
not result in anything. (no menu)

All the icons are displayed by nautilus, so if it doesn't run, there are none.

Try, in a terminal (xterm, gnome-terminal):

ps ax | grep -i nautilus

If it is running, kill it:

killall nautilus
killall -9 nautilus

and finally, restart it:

nautilus &

and see if it writes an error message that gives a clue.

Defaults... I'm unsure, but you could delete the configuration directories to force a recreation.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.