Re: [opensuse] Update notification/install with default Suse Window manager
Dave Feustel wrote:
On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 05:54:52PM -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

* Dave Feustel <dfeustel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [01-25-09 17:07]:

Well, I have removed both the kdelibs3 and kdelibs4 and rebooted. After
a reboot and login I have the default Suse window manager. There seems
to be no longer any icon that turns orange when there are updates.
Can I bring that icon up on the native suse panel or is there some other
way to be aware of and install updates?

yast2, zypper, smart, apt manual download and rpm

I know about yast2 and zypper. What are smart and apt?
What I would like to do is run on the suse desktop the app that displays
the little green/orange icon on the desktop.

Apt is the update process for debian-based systems. You use apt-get or
urpmi for them. (http://www.linux.com/feature/40745) It is used with
.deb based installation routines.

SMART (http://labix.org/smart) is an update tool used by those (like
openSUSE/SLED) with rpm-based installation processes.

The little green/orange thingy on the taskbar is the openSUSE updater.
It will do the job. Look under Geeko > Applications > System > Desktop
Applications.