Re: [opensuse] (OT) Charter Communications - refusal to correct a bill
  • From: "Fred A. Miller" <fmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 00:02:41 -0500
Tony Alfrey wrote:
Basil Chupin wrote:
Tony Alfrey wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:
<snip>

Maybe I could ask kere about my satelite dish getting rusty due to
the sea breeze, there sure is some kind soul here that works with EM
coatings :-P
Use WD-40

WD-40 is almost totally useless because it is predominantly kerosene.

Google is your friend. WD-40 (which stands for "water displacement
formula #40) is a mixture of Stoddard Solvent (similar to kerosene in
the sense that all hydrocarbons that come from a refining stack are
similar to kerosene) and mineral oil. So the function of the Stoddard
solvent is to help displace the water that is responsible for causing
the corrosion, leaving behind a layer of mineral oil that helps prevent
further water incursion. And it can be used to squirt into that
squeaking fan on your Linux box.

I'll only post once on this subject. WD-40 is pretty much worthless with
FAR better products on the market. As to his dish, there are a number of
applications that will stop corrosion, and they aren't expensive. First,
if he removes the corrosion, then clean the disk to remove all oils and
other debris, then apply an even coat of any good HARD paste floor wax
like Johnson and Johnson. Buff it, let it dry hard, and do the same 2
more times.....done.

The one I'd use, as I've run it through saline spray tests in a warm
humidity chamber for a number of ours with NONE, NADA, NO corrosion on
bar steel bar stock is "Brown Polymer," which was developed for
firearms. One even coating on that dish and I'd bet it'd never corrode
again.

Fred

--
"Politicians and diapers need to be changed
regularly -- and for the same reason."