Re: [opensuse] Update notification/install with default Suse Window manager
  • From: "Jeffrey L. Taylor" <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 22:05:16 -0600

On Sunday, 2009-01-25 at 20:00 -0600, Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:

Quoting Constantinos Maltezos <>:
[snip]
The problem is that you removed your desktop. Desktops (with panels) are
provided by Gnome, KDE, xfce and the Rox Filer (though I don't think that
one
handles system tray icons, but I could be wrong). IceWM is a lightweight
window manager that provides a panel, though I'm not sure it handles
system
tray icons, either. But it's worth a try.

Any of the window managers that support a dock can use stalonetray (Stand
alone tray) which can contain tray icons. I use it with Blackbox with the
Kwallet and KnetworkManager icons.

... both of which require kde libs, which he removed.

True. But the point was it is possible to use tray apps with may non-desktop
environment window managers. It also works for Opera, but I use it so seldom
it didn't occur to me to use it as an example.

Jeffrey