Re: [opensuse] Update notification/install with default Suse Window manager
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 02:59:05 +0100 (CET)

On Monday, 2009-01-26 at 02:21 +0100, Dave Feustel wrote:

I know about yast2 and zypper. What are smart and apt?
What I would like to do is run on the suse desktop the app that displays
the little green/orange icon on the desktop.

The problem is that you removed your desktop.

No. I removed kdelibs4 and, after rebooting, I got a different desktop - a SUSE
desktop
(the word SUSE and an image of a chameleon occupy the center of the screen)
with a panel along the lower edge. I can start xterm by clicking at a
particular place on the panel. and each window has an entry on the
panel.

Yes, you removed kde. AFAIK, only kde and gnome have the updater applet. You are using something else (what it is, is unknown), and thus, there is no applet. You will have to guess when there is something to update, and do it manually.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.