Re: [opensuse] grub and the march of the penguins
  • From: Doug McGarrett <dmcgarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 17:18:00 -0500
On Sunday 25 January 2009 16:17, Marcus Meissner wrote:
On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 10:15:35PM +0100, Amedee Van Gasse wrote:
Marcus Meissner schreef:
On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 10:03:58PM +0100, Amedee Van Gasse wrote:
When I boot the pc, I have noticed that I don't always get the same
background in Grub.

Most of the times it's a standard opensuse green background, a bit
boring but with stylish gradients.

But sometimes I get cute little animated pinguins in an antarctic
landscape. It looks like a level from pingus (you know, the lemmings
clone).

After reading menu.lst, I think that gfxmenu is taking care of the
background. I'm curious why it isn't always the same.

Because its not always Winter or Christmas ;) It is a date dependend
easter egg.

Lol, thanks, that explains a lot. But there must be a random generator
involved too? Because if I reboot x times, I only see the penguins 1
time and x-1 times I see the boring green stuff.

Yes there is a random generator. There is also a key you can press,
not sure if it was Caps Lock or something to trigger it ;)

Ciao, Marcus

The things you learn here! I haven't rebooted this machine since I installed
this edition of Linux, AFAIK, so I've never even seen this "Easter egg"! I
think there's a way to tell how many days it's been up, but it has certainly
been quite a while.

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers ... for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M. Greeley