Re: [opensuse] how does one get rid of 'locked' desktop items?
  • From: Amedee Van Gasse <amedee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 21:23:47 +0100
L. V. Lammert schreef:
Satisfied? How about answering the question, then?

===========================

Trying to get rid of extraneous desktop items:

GnomeOnlineHelp.desktop

&

SuSE.desktop

Why are the 'locked'???? They don't seem to be anywhere in my home
directory, . . .

They are "locked" because they are owned by root.
They live in /usr/share/dist/desktop-files.

If you want to get rid of them, these forum topics explains how:
http://forums.opensuse.org/applications/404550-removing-desktop-icons-3.html
http://forums.opensuse.org/applications/401998-locked-icons-gnome-desktop.html

HINT: use the Tab key for auto-completion of long or difficult file names.

My personal rant: these files *should* be symlinks to the real files in
/usr/share/dist/desktop-files, and they should live in /etc/skel. That
way each user can decide if (s)he wants them or not. If you delete them
now, you delete them for every user...

--
Amedee